Diversified Radiology has been known for decades for our quality diagnostic services and caring physicians. Now we have launched Interventional Radiology of Colorado to distinguish our interventional service offering. We’re still the same great doctors you’ve come to know and trust and we’re still part of Diversified Radiology – we just have a new name.
- Shawn Ahmed, M.D.
- Arthur H. Donahue, D.O.
- Sangeeta Grewal, M.D.
- Richard F. Grzybowski, D.O.
- Peder E. Horner, M.D.
- Samuel McMurry, D.O.
Advantages of Interventional Radiology
Using the most advanced technology and minimally-invasive techniques, Interventional Radiologists specialize in procedures and treatment options that offer numerous advantages over traditional surgery. As your partner in patient care, Diversified’s Interventional Radiologists offer the least invasive option first. Interventional radiology treatments are first-line care for a wide variety of conditions. Most procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis or require only a short hospital stay, and general anesthesia is usually not required.
Why Choose Interventional Radiology over Surgery?
- Less Pain – There are no large incisions or stitches required for our minimally invasive procedures.
- Less Cost – Most interventional radiology procedures require no in-patient hospital stay, which greatly reduces the cost of treatment.
- Less Risk – Interventional procedures and surgeries both have risks. Surgeries, which typically use general anesthesia, tend to be more risky.
- Less Time – With only a very small incision needed for most procedures, recovery time is much less when compared to surgery.
We offer a wide variety of minimally invasive procedures including:
UFE is an excellent hysterectomy alternative that gives most women moderate to complete improvement in their symptoms. Under conscious sedation, a small tube is placed into the arteries feeding the fibroids, which are then blocked with small, sand-like particles. The fibroids shrink and die, while the rest of the uterus remains intact. Read more about UFE here.
VERTEBRAL AUGMENTATION and KYPHOPLASTY procedures help osteoporotic patients with weak and brittle bones. Using fluoroscopic-guidance, a cement mixture is inserted in between the vertebrae to keep them from compressing again. Post-surgery, patients experience rapid pain relief and improved quality of life with no physical therapy or rehabilitation.
Offered as part of a multidisciplinary team approach, interventional oncology procedures are generally reserved for patients whose cancer cannot be surgically removed or effectively treated with systemic chemotherapy.
- DRUG ELUTING BEAD EMBOLIZATION provides targeted cancer treatment directly to the tumor while minimizing exposure to the rest of the body.
- INTRA-ARTERIAL YTTRIUM-90 RADIOEMBOLIZATION, known as Y-90, is a palliative treatment for patients with liver cancer that provides a higher dose of radiation compared to external therapies.
For patients with BPH (enlarged prostate), PAE is a minimally invasive procedure that shrinks the prostate gland to its normal size, allowing patients to enjoy an improved quality of life.
CATHETER-DIRECTED THROMBOLYSIS is an image-guided procedure in which a clot-busting drug is injected directly into a blood clot through a small tube inserted into a vein in the leg. The procedure prevents damage to tissues and organs and improves blood flow.